May 14, 2007

Mother's Day and my new job

We did mothers (and mothers-to-be) day in FC this weekend with Mom and Dad and G&G. Above is a pic of us from the weekend. I haven't posted a recent picture in quite awhile so I thought I'd share. Wifey is doing okay but I think she's getting sick of her current dimensions.

Well, I'm leaving my position at STP. It's kinda bittersweet because STP is the only place that I've worked since we've moved here (I've had three different jobs within the company). I have many good friends in my coworkers that I will genuinely miss working with. Despite that, I'm very excited about my new position. My last day with STP is the 18th. I start the new position on the 21st.

The new company is called Local Creative. They are based Locally and do Creative stuff: imagine! Seriously, they do web site design, print design, interactive media design/programming and other creative work. My official title is Digital Fulfillment Manager. That means that I will be handling all of the technology development that powers the websites and other media design that Local Creative produces. Initially it will be lots of hands on work programming in PHP and other languages and working with database design, etc. LC is a small company right now but as we grow I will be responsible for bringing in and supervising new digital technology talent as needed.

It was a hard decision to move out of a large, stable corporation to a small, fairly new company. But looking at the quality of work and dedication that the owner has put into LC convinced me that this will be a fun, flexible and exciting place to work. STP has been a great company to work for. I will actually miss my boss a lot as he was an excellent guy to work for (no, he doesn't read this blog and flattery wouldn't get me anywhere at this point anyway). It's probably rare that you can honestly say you really like your boss. All that being said, I never really made a conscious choice to get into marketing. I found opportunities at STP and took them, which led me into marketing but I am ready to get back to more creative pursuits. I think I will like my new boss too, I already respect him for his demonstrated ability and that goes a long way with me. The other guys I'll be working with seem really cool.

I know you're probably thinking: programming, creative? Yes, web programming and application development requires creative problem solving. Technology without creative regard for usability and efficiency is worthless (ohhhh, M$ Windows anyone?). I enjoy [trying my best to] blend the technology and design elements needed to create a seamless web experience for the user. Since this is a small company, I will probably be getting my hands "dirty" in some of the other design and print jobs that come in. That might be a nice break from lines of code.

The company itself is located in a renovated industrial building. It's an old old redbrick, complete with antique painted signs on the side. It manages to be trendy, historic and quaint all at once. Inside it has hardwood floors and the wonderful hum of dual-core processors and 24" widescreen monitors.I asked my new boss what kind of computer I would have and he said "what do you want?" I said I usually built my own at home so he let me compile a list of components from newegg.com (my fave computer parts company) and he ordered them for me. It's not everyday you get to build your own work computer and yes, I consider that a huge privilege. The goodies came in today and dropped in to assemble it. For my geek friends, here's what I built:
  • Coolermaster case (I highly recommend these, built by people with good brains)
  • Dual core 64 bit AMD proc (built by psionic supermutants, it's the only explanation)
  • 2GB ram
  • 256MB nVidia GeForce 7600GT
  • 320GB 7200RPM SATA drive
  • ASUS, dual Gigabit ethernet mobo that can handle up to 8GB RAM and 2 GPUs in SLI
  • 500W PSU
  • Logitech MX518 mouse
I'll be getting a DVD burner, 24" widescreen LCD (I think/hope) and an ergonomic keyboard. Basically this machine will outperform my home machine in just about all categories and that's saying something.

So there's your windy dose of news and nerd. Hope all had a happy mother's day.

4 comments:

Jocelyn said...

Thanks for the picture of fat sister, since I haven't seen you both in a couple of weeks. Pregnancy seems to go on forever until it's over, and then you wonder where the time went! Your new job seems like it will be fun and interesting (to you, not me-it would be way over my head :) ) and I hope you are happy there. Thanks for the news update.

Anonymous said...

Great post, your dad was just saying last night that both of you kids needed to post new news and you both did. I like the picture, don't forget to e-mail it to me as I haven't had much luck getting them off the blog sites. I'm glad you got to build your own computer! Your new work place is only 4 blocks from mine, so... we'll have to do lunch some.

Anonymous said...

Hey, good luck with the new job, J! I forget, though, when wifey is due? Hang in there, K! :)

MB said...

Leaving STP? That must be hard, I can't imagine working somewhere there is that much gear to drool over...