January 29, 2007

Cheesy Space game v1.0

So, I make little video games as a hobby. I played an old shoot-em-up style arcade game on linux a few days ago and decided to throw together a little top-scroller browser game like it. It's only version 1.0, meaning it's barely a game at all. Basically you control a little ship and shoot lasers at floating mines. There is no end to the game (unless you die (either in game or in real life)). Here's a sentence to impress your mom, kids: This was a programming exercise to create randomly generated parallax scrolling starfields. That means that the starfield looks 3D and the game can go on forever (since all the elements are created on-the-fly). I just added the ship and mines for fun.

Read Instructions Below...
  • Arrow keys move ship
  • You may need to click in the game window before the keyboard will work
  • You will have a few seconds to get the hang of the controls before the mines start coming.
  • Space bar fires
  • Don't run into the mines
  • Shoot them for cash (shown in upper left corner)
  • Some mines will drop health when you kill them, pick it up to charge your health bar (the green one) back up. Health packs vanish quickly!
...and now play the game here:
Click me for cheesy space game

If I keep working on it you will be able to use the cash you earn to buy new weapons and ship upgrades. Also, there will be more enemies that don't suck and that actually shoot back. I only spent about 6 hours on this so don't expect anything spectacular (that includes the time it took to do the little explosion animations, the ship and all the programming).

If you really want to play this game but I stop working on it just look around. There's about a billion games like this that go all the way back to Space Invaders. Nothing new to see here.

PS: If you complain about the lack of unboring features I will just tell your boss that you were playing it at work.

3 comments:

Jocelyn said...

I like your game. The spaceship is very stylish. I made about $1200 before my phone rang (I'm taking blood draw appointments 9-1 at work for the next 4 weeks)and I died. I'm supposed to be doing actual work, but...oh well. My real work shouldn't take long :-)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
J said...

Dear "the photographer,"
I don't allow unsolicited backlinks on my blog. If you want to comment, take the time to write something. Then I might let you post a link to your own blog.

If "the photographer" knows me personally I might make an exception but unsolicited backlinks are generally considered spam.