March 8, 2007

New: Infernal Racket in High Fidelity!

I ordered a Large-Diaphram, multi-pattern, condenser USB microphone (Samson CO3U) from Sweetwater.com last Saturday. Large-Diaphram means that it can pick up a fairly wide range of frequencies. Multi-pattern means that it can record from a single direction or a few different configurations (so you can record a single instrument or multiple people at once). USB means that it plugs into my laptop. I don't know what the hooey "condenser" means but I've got my fingers crossed for "makes you sound awesome."

To my great delight the microphone was waiting at the door when I got home. I went and played ping pong again so I didn't get to experiment with it right away. But you can bet that after I got home the first thing I was doing was plugging it in and testing it out. The mic lived up to my expectations: which means it captures every flat note I hit and every buzzing string on my guitar in high-fidelity. Or at least, it records pretty good for the price. Good microphones can get extremely expensive. This one strikes a balance between performance and price.

The last mic I tried to record something with was a $5 piece of junk I picked up from a pawn shop back in college. The results were pathetic at best.

Anyway, I downloaded Audacity, a free sound recording and manipulation program and began fiddling. I don't know anything about recording, sound manipulation or much of anything else short of how to play the guitar. The result of my efforts is still pretty sad but at least you can tell that the mic records nicely for amateur stuff. Now if I could sing better, add some other instruments so it's not so bland, and actually learn to use the music software to take out the pops, crackles and other imperfections I will eventually achieve mediocrity! Now if Wifey ever gets over her cold, I can coerce her into laying down some vocal tracks. Yeah!

If you care to torture your ears you can download the mess here:
my first recording effort

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are the man. I'm going to start the biggest fan club this side of the mississippi.

If any of you people out there want to join the fan club just leave a comment showing your appreciation for the best musician in the western hemisphere. Also make your name BNL's BIGGEST FAN:(Your Name).

Also send $50 to me so I can compensate for the feeling of inadaquacy as my BNL has once again showed me that I have no talents as a gamer, musician, and/or computer geek.

Anonymous said...

Nice work brother! BNL called me at work because he wanted me to read your blog !right now!...However, the link to your supurb recording was blocked (I hate work computers!) so I had to have Craig bring it up at his work and put the phone by the speaker! It sounded great like that, so I'm sure it's even better in real life. Thanks for sharing that. Also, Craig, I'm not going to send you $50, but you can take ME to supper!

Anonymous said...

THAT IS TOTALLY AWESOME! CAN'T WAIT TO HEAR MORE. I'M NOT SENDING $50 TO YOU EITHER SNL! :) YOU HAVE THE TALENT TOO, YOU'RE JUST HAVEN'T WORKED TO MAKE IT BETTER!
OOPS! FORGOT TO TAKE CAPS LOCK OFF AGAIN! :( I WAS YELLING ABOUT IT BEING TOTALLY AWESOME THO! :)

J said...

Thanks for the compliments but ya'll are delusional. Both the vocals and guitar are off in many places. The timing is horrible. There are clicks and pops everywhere where I bumped the mic while recording. I don't have a mic boom so I had it balanced on my guitar stand...

I was excited to experiment with software and such so I didn't bother to record until I got a good capture. I didn't even tune my guitar before recording.

Like I said: my first effort.

*I'm writing a virus that will disable CAPSLOCK.

Jocelyn said...

This post reminds me that BNL and I were wanting to get with you and Sister and make a CD of hymns to listen to with Baby in the car and at the house. We need to get together sometime and do it if you are interested. Also, if that was your first effort, your next one could go pro-share your money with me!