April 19, 2007

Scott Scale 60 Mountain Bike


Summer is coming and I am itching to ride. I mentioned the Muddy Buddy in my last post and my company might sponsor a mountain bike race in Winter Park that I'm also interested in. My current mountain bike is a pretty solid beginner level bike but I will probably destroy it soon if I keep riding it. When I first bought it I broke the chain 3 times in 2 months. The shop finally gave me a super-strong chain but now it puts stress on the sprockets. I want to ride the Vedavoo trails and some of the Horsetooth trails this summer but I don't want to replace my drivetrain system...that costs ~$300 and my bike was only $350-400 new.

Anyway, I have been watching what we get in here at the Post. I found a bike that was super nice but it was out of my price range. Retail value of it is $900 (ridiculous amount to spend on a bike as far as I'm concerned) and we had it marked for $650. That's a pretty good deal but then we put it on sale for $519...even better. I get a 30% discount but not on sale price...off of our regular markdown. My price was $460 but still quite a bit more than I wanted to spend on a bike. I was looking it over with my buddy Sharkdog and he noticed a dent in the bottom tube.

I pointed this out to our retail manager and she said we'd have to mark it as a "third" (oh darn), sorta like the dented cans at your local grocer. Anyway, that brought the price to $350 which officially destroyed my anti-purchasing willpower.

This thing has extremely burly front forks and a much higher-end drivetrain from Shimano. The tubes are gusseted (reinforced) to take a lot of abuse on the trail or jumping. I am very excited to go riding so if anyone wants to hit the trails let me know! Wifey is also looking for a more mild-mannered sidekick for very light biking or hiking nearby trails. She's aching to get outside but obviously is in no condition for off-roading :)

By the way, I have my old bike posted on Craigslist for $225 if anyone needs a decent, less-technical ride. It has a sturdy frame, wheels and the gear system is fine for normal riding. I was prepared to subject it to beyond-normal abuse which would have killed it. I can go down to probably $175 for a friend (a good way to find out if I consider you a friend, haha). It's a great bike for men over 6' tall. If you are interested in my ol' bike you can read all the specs here:
http://www.epinions.com/bicycles_2003_Giant_Rincon

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

HAVE YOU TALKED TO BARRY ABOUT ANY OF THIS, YOU KNOW HE DOES DIFFERENT THINGS ALL TIME. THEY POST QUITE A FEW OF HIS RACES ON THEIR SITE (THE FIRST PERSON LISTED ON YOUR SIS' BLOG)IF YOU WANT TO SEE SOME OF HIS POSTS. HE WINS A LOT..... GOOD POST. BE CAREFUL, WONDER IF YOU THINK OF A HELMET. I KNOW PEOPLE WHO ARE GOOD RIDERS AND STILL TAKE SPILLS. NOT SURE I WANT MY NEW GRANDBABY TO BE TO HAVE A DAD WITH "ONE TOO MANY" BRAIN INJURIES! :)

Anonymous said...

Oops, I shouted in that whole comment. Sorry! :(

Anonymous said...

Are you saying Barry is a dad with "one too many" brain injuries?

Jocelyn said...

Way to go on the new addition to your family.

Anonymous said...

Does Barry not wear a helmet? I thought he did. I'm saying Justin has already had one too many and he doesn't need another! I'll with hold judgment on Barry's brain injuries. :)

These Three Boones said...

Your family all tells your to wear a helmet. I say learn to ride the bike. jk sweet ride, sweet deal, is that a dent i see in the frame.