February 27, 2007

106 Days Up

When is the last time you had to restart Windows because of a crash, an update, or some other unknown reason? It seems like at work that I'm always having to restart Windows because my outlook crashed beyond repair or M$ released yet another "security update."

By now everyone probably knows that I run a Linux server(s) at home. It stores all my files, runs a web and ftp server so I can test ideas, works as a proxy and does lots of other things. I can access any file I want to work on from any other machine with an internet connection in the world.

There is a command in linux called "uptime." If you type "uptime" it tells you how long your machine has been running without a shutdown. My server uptime: 106 days.

106 days without a system shutdown for any reason and the only reason it was shutdown before that is because the power went out and I don't have an uninterrupted power supply (yet). I have updated it, checked email, grabbed and manipulated files, run a dedicated server and use it almost every day from work. Sure, programs have crashed before but the system stays stable. For 106 days straight and counting. You think that's pretty good? My friend Vlad has a machine that's been up for 457 days. He had to shutdown 457 days ago to move into his apartment. Otherwise it would be longer.

Can you imagine Windows being up for that long? I think the longest I've had a Windoze machine running is about 2 wks. And people wonder why I'm such a big promoter of Linux.

4 comments:

Jocelyn said...

OK-NOW your post was boring! Just joking.

J said...

Just remember how boring you think this is the next time your Windoze compy crashes in the middle of a project. You'll be thinking: "Boy, Linux sounds really interesting right now. Maybe if I give JDawg a hunert dollars he'll teach me all about it."

Anonymous said...

I actually thought it was interesting. I don't have trouble with Windows crashing really but do have trouble with the computer in general. If I call JDawg (who happens to be my son) a call, he just comes over and complains about all the junk on my computer and what all I need to do with it but doesn't do much to help. :)

J said...

This calls for another post.