February 17, 2010

Dress Up 2 Cure

This is really gross, but Nora had a bloody nose the other week and this is what I found when I went to get Nora that morning. This was following a horrible night. Up from 2-6am.... Poor girly. I even had the humidifier going. I left out the rest of the blood for those with a weak tummy.

More exciting news:

http://www.firstgiving.com/du2cteamnora

So, I was very excited to see that we have our team Nora page up and running for the Dress Up 2 Cure event on April Fool's Day to raise money for Girl Power 2 Cure. I was even more excited to see that we are already over 25% of the way (by the time I finished this post we're at the 50% mark!!) to our fund-raising goal of $625. I had to set a goal and I had no idea what to set it as... they gave a suggestion and I went for it. Maybe I should have set the goal higher. I have issues with failure, but that's a whole different post....

Anyway, check it out! I am very excited/nervous. I am going to try to grow a "garden of hope" with some of the grocery stores/businesses and set up a Dress Up 2 Cure event at the local school/s to try to raise a bunch of money. I would like to have a run for next year... Runnin' for Rett. I am not ready this year, however, some good friends and we will be running the Bolder Boulder and raising money for Nora there. We'll see how that goes before I create a specific run just for Nora...

If you are at all interested in helping let me know. You can do all sorts of fund-raising events: A Bowlathon, a board game tournament, tea party, bake sale, run/walks, silent auctions, pretty much whatever your imagination comes up with. If you are interested, go to this web site as a start: http://www.dressup2cure.org/ There you will find information (too much for me to explain in this post). You can join our team or start your own or just take a look and see what it's all about. Or you can call me if this is too confusing and you want to help, but don't know how.

Anyway, I am hoping to be somewhat successful this first go-around. I'm excited to learn how big of a help I can be to Nora and all the other girls out there struggling with this Syndrome. Not many people know what Rett Syndrome is or have even heard about it. Lots of people know what Autism is. Finding a cure for this seems like something attainable, and it would help out many other disorders in the process, ones like Autism, Bipolar disorder, and many more. They're linked somehow and I think it would be great to have been involved in helping find a cure. I sure am glad there are people out there a lot smarter than me doing the actual "finding" for the cure! :)

Anyway, that's all I better say before I ramble on and on and lose everyone. Hope everyone is doing great and I'll find more pics to post for the week, so I don't get any hate mail for bailing on that this week. ;) Ah, but before I post more pics check this out too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJuwnz7n6jY

this is a great video about Ingrid Harding and her daughter Sarah. Ingrid started the whole Girl Power 2 Cure website. Check it out. She's really amazing and she's done so much for these Rett girls!

I made a couple of aprons last week for a sister/friend of mine and her daughter. I think they liked 'em. :D They were a lot of fun to make. I used an old skirt of mine and some ribbon and red/white polka dot fabric and a few buttons.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

A great post Kristy. I will help organize or do whatever you need me to do. Just let me know.

I can't believe the donations so far and that you're 1/2 way to your goal. I guess I have to say I got really teary when I saw them. Thanks so much to all of those who are able to donate.

Gramma Myrna

Jeanette said...

Poor girl.... That picture is heart wrenching.

Way to go in fundraising....I must admit I'd never heard of Rett Syndrome until your story.

Nora is in our prayers.

Kelly said...

Kristy - you are off to an AMAZING start with donations :) Keep uo the great work!!

Kristy said...

Go Team Nora!!!!!